I enjoyed and learned a lot at this first soda firing. I look forward to the next opportunity, whenever that will be.
Here I am at the soda kiln, before the unloading.
Here are my pieces, with my notes so I'll remember what I did to achieve the results, even though I know I will never be able to reproduce any of them exactly. But it's a great learning process.
collaboration with Fredi, so it is a delightfully light piece, thrown from B-Mix clay and altered. On the outside, it was dipped in Jane Hamlyn Blue slip, and then the smooth bulgy part into Gordon's #3 slip. Then I sprayed a bit of titanium dioxide on the Jane Hamlyn Blue, so that I would get some green. The inside is glazed with Robin's Clear glaze. I like how there is blue dripping inside the mouth of the vessel. It is very shiny, almost metallic. Not what I had imagined or planned, but I'm okay with it overall.
previous leaf imprint vessels.
twisty pots from back in February 2016. I had held back a couple of them, trying to figure out different methods of glazing, staining, and otherwise finishing them. This one was thrown from 2600 g of yellow clay, so a very dark clay (which turns a milk chocolate colour in the cone 10 firing). I applied Goldart slip to the outside, and rubbed a bit of it off with a sponge. The inside is glazed with John's Tenmoku. I like the outcome, although I'm not sure I like the gloss on it. I think a matte finish would be more suited to the rugged shape and texture of it.
bowl was formed from coils / chunks of red clay back in May 2016. I dipped the whole thing in Gordon's #3 flashing slip, and then brushed it with Tesha glaze inside. The Gordon's #3 can have a nice variation from green to brown, but I suspect my red clay was too iron-rich, and attracted lots of soda, so I ended up with this dark brooding colour. I'm not fond of the colour or finish, but at least the bowl feels very functional. I would have otherwise been inclined to leave it very rough on the outside, but then it would not be practical for washing.
coil-formed bowls from May 2016. It was formed from red and recycled (which is mostly grey) clay. I applied Black stain to highlight the texture of the seashells, but otherwise the finish is from the soda. The inside and rim is Yellow Salt glaze, which I believe I brushed on, since I was not having particularly good success that day with pouring out glazes and not spilling or splashing all over. I'm generally liking it, although it is a bit too dark for my tastes.
Overall, an interesting experience, and I'm glad I participated. On my next soda firing, I will stick to whiter clays (my favourite being P570), and play more with Cobra, a much thicker coat of Jane's Blue, a much thicker coat of Gordon's #3, and more of the cheery Yellow Salt. And more slip-trailed and poked pieces, I think.