I missed class today for an appointment, but planned to use the drop-in workshop for throwing some new pieces, which I would then finish Sunday, and then come back to glaze them when Shadbolt Center re-opens again in July, as it is closed almost the whole month of June. But I also had some leftover clay, including recycled clay, with which I thought I would do a little hand building.
I started with glazing my tall house garden structure :
After that, I pulled out my bits and pieces of clay, and started some hand building. Pretty soon the workshop was almost over, and I hadn't done any throwing, but I had some wonderful bowls to show for my work. In the last half hour, I realized that if I could rush them to firm up (using a heat gun) enough to put feet on them, then I wouldn't need to even return on the weekend to finish them up. I would just wait until they dry, and transfer them to the kiln shed to be bisqued. So that's what I did.
Let's start with the result, here are 3 of the bowls, lying upside down, with their feet attached :
They are formed from red clay (which I finished off completely) and grey recycled clay. I hope that the shrinkage of these two different clay bodies will be similar enough that I won't run into problems with cracking or pulling away. I got one comment on my Instagram post already, that another potter tried a similar thing, but unsuccessfully. So here's hoping.
The method is pretty simple, although time consuming. They were each built inside a bisqueware mold. This one using coils of clay:
Then I add more clay, which I smooth out (while not pressing so hard as to destroy the texture of the clay against the mold):
Here is the rough textured bowl, before adding more clay and a rim, and smoothing it out:
For the third bowl, I used one of my handmade bisque sprig molds to create the shell / nautilus shape, and then pressed different colored balls of clay into the sprig mold, and lined these up inside the mold.
I had one last piece I created today, but I just realized I had not taken a photo of it. It was a rectangular bowl / plate made with a roller pattern, and then formed over a rectangular mold. I added some nice feet to it. I'll have to remember to take a photo when I transfer it to the kiln shed.
It feels good that I have pretty much finished everything off, and just waiting on some items to be bisqued and other items to come out of the gas firing. I have some pieces reserved for a soda firing in July, otherwise there is nothing which needs my attention. Which is actually a nice feeling, at this point in my life, which is otherwise quite hectic.
Stay tuned for more pottery in June, as I am signed up for a couple of weekend workshops, and I suspect that the leftover clay in my garage may not stay there all month, either. :-)