It's been a fairly interesting course, making various vessels related to the consumption of alcohol. I have chosen to make the ones interesting to me, and skipped the ones I didn't find interesting. I had lots of other projects on the go anyhow, so didn't have any spare time anyhow.
NOTE : I plan to give one or more of these to my Honey as Christmas gifts. I am pretty sure he won't read this post, but please don't let him know, I'm hoping for a surprise...
The first set were beer related weisen cups and steins. You can see the marbling and throwing in this post. All were thrown with white Plainsman 570 clay. I then marbled in some Willamette Yellow clay (which is not available for sale yet, but my instructor gave me a bit to play with). Over all, I was relatively happy with the results, but a bit disappointed how subtle the marbling ended up when the glaze was applied. A few people have commented that they like the subtlety. I guess I'm not so much a subtle person, I like it a bit more striking. But anyhow, here they are, along with my techie notes, for my own record :
inspiration for and origins of this piece in this blog post, and the staining and glazing here. I was a bit shocked and repelled when I first saw her, inside the finished ceramics cage, but I have to say she became much more lovely to me when I picked her up and brought her home. So I'll see whether she finds a good home here, or will go to live with my creative friend, Miranda, who really liked her the first time she saw her. I was intending to name her, maybe from a character in "The Secret Life of Bees", but I don't know that any of those characters (August, May, June) suit her. I'll wait and see.
She is finished in Red Iron Oxide stain, which I discovered turns a metallic colour when applied thickly. Her hair is finished with Black overglaze/stain, the butterfly in Yellow and Purple underglazes and Clear glaze. Her dress in a Deep Blue glaze. Her brilliant red lips are Red underglaze. I'm very happy with that red, even though I think she should choose a colour which is more suited to her skin tone. Her eyes are a combination of Black stain, one of the brown glazes, and Clear glaze. I love how they shine and sparkle. She almost comes alive.
She survived the two firings beautifully. The only accident was that I broke off a curl from the back of her neck when I lifted her onto the bisque shelf, so I stained that piece, and will crazy-glue it back on with no difficulty. There is only a tiny hairline crack in the base, but she seems sturdy and her weight is relatively balanced so she should not easily be toppled. A really big success for my first such large (11" tall and 10" wide) sculptural piece, and that with no wadding or support while building her. I'm super pleased with myself. The possibilities are almost endless now. I can't wait to attempt something equally daunting, as soon as I have some more inspiration.