I was again blessed to be able to go into the studio on a Sunday afternoon, and make some more progress on my pieces. As for the class assignments, I have opted out of most of the recent ones, since I have so much else on the go. But I intend to come back to a few of the concepts, such as throwing a sake container, and a Bellarmine (aka Bartmann) jug.
I was really surprised that it took more than 2 hours today to stain and glaze my sculptural piece, which is still unnamed. Here she is, with just black stain applied (sorry for the out-of-focus photo) :
Anyhow, I then used the remainder of the drop in session to trim the bottoms of my other pieces, and add a cord to the floppy sack vase :
vessel which collapsed while trying to throw the double walls together, what do you think?
All four of the other vessels were still very soft, so it was a bit tricky to trim the feet. This one was a combination of trimming and throwing (to get that edge), which I was particularly pleased with :
I have brought that vessel home, since I wanted to try a new technique I discovered from a very talented artist, Michele, whose account is @leavesofclay and Etsy shop is here. Hmmm, her prices are very reasonable, too. I encourage you to check it out.
Anyhow, I'll start with the almost-finished piece (I will stain it once bisqued) :
It started with a visit to the garden with a flashlight, gathering leaves in the dark. I chose a viburnum bush, since it had lots of small and medium sized leaves, and I love their deep grooves. If I had a larger piece, I would have chosen leaves from my Davidii involucrata (dove) tree, but they don't come in small sizes.