I was happy to pick up 9 of the pieces for my garden totem today. I have more on the way, and once I have time to assess where I'll put them in the garden, and how many I'll need for the totem height I choose, I'm sure I'll be making many more. It will be my summer project.
Here they are. All bear my stamp somewhere, so I won't mention :
base for my base, to be in better proportion to the other pieces. So we'll see how that turns out. This one was thrown on the wheel to be quite thick, then faceted with a cheese cutter / straight wire. It is finished with Iron Oxide wash, which was wiped off, to leave more oxide in the cuts. I like that effect, and the chocolaty color (yes, it's all equates to food for me!).
my 7 sodium silicate crackle vases. This is the first one I made, when I was still too timid about pushing out the sides. So because of the shape and lack of crackle, I decided to make this one into a totem piece. It was coated in Brown slip before crackling, but like my other vases, the Brown has mostly disappeared. It is sprayed in Clear glaze on the outside. The inside is unglazed. I think it will handle the weather better than way. Let's hope. I am hoping, since I'm inherently lazy and don't know where to store them otherwise, to keep my totem out year round. Maybe only draping it in plastic when Winter hits, so it won't get too wet (we don't really get cold in Vancouver, only wetness).
my jeweled vase #27 in this post.)
this tray. So I decided to use it again for this totem piece, and the combination did not disappoint. I think this will make a nice chunky link in my totem.
this post for the colors when applied. The colors may not have all worked as plan, but the overall effect is still a good one, and should go nicely on the totem.
And finally today, I picked up some pieces which didn't meet the glaze deadline in the Fall, so continuing numbering from the #28 Mickey bowl, ....