Well, they were technically not something we even covered in the Spring Ahead course, but I discovered the sodium silicate, and was compelled to try it - a few times! I tried all different kinds of slips and staining and glazing, to experiment with different effects. These are the results. They are all formed from Grey clay, and fired to Cone 10.
Here it is before firing, it definitely had a full layer of Brown slip from the shoulder down.
It is not very visible in the photo, but I applied my stamp to the inside bottom of the vase. I think that is a reasonable place, when I am trimming the foot (which sometimes is too dry to apply a stamp at that point), and don't have a good flat spot on the neck or shoulder to apply the stamp.
see it here before firing), colored with Red and Yellow underglazes before crackling, but the yellow from the sunset has disappeared in the Cone 10 firing. Good to know. It is still beautiful, but not as dramatic as I had hoped. It was also sprayed Clear inside and out, so is very functional. Nice size and weight. Again, the spiral design underneath. Stamped on the shoulder.
Overall, I'm very pleased by how these sodium silicate crackled vases turned out. It is an effect which I hope to explore more in future. Although I'm bit more wary about using slips or underglazes for color while creating them, and may choose the stain application on the bisqueware, which seems a more reliable way to get color, and bring out the crackly texture.