Sunday, January 21, 2018

Plates and Ammonites

I am sore and tired from being in the studio all day today, but very happy with how all my pieces are progressing.

I finished all 5 plates now.  When I made some plates previously, they ended up a little thicker and heavier than I had liked.  But Fredi challenged me to take them off the wheel, check the thickness, and put them back on to trim more if they were not done.  So I did that.  One plate, I ended up centering and trimming 4 times, but in the end, I am very pleased with the results.

I added a handle to my mug, but it was too ordinary for me, so I added a little snail on the rim.  Poor little guy, I think one day he will have his eyes snapped off, but hopefully not any time soon.

Fredi showed us how to chatter with a specialized tool, and also just with a metal rib.  I didn't realize I could do that with my metal rib.  So now all the latest plates feature chattering marks.  Most of them my signature multiple ring foot (Fredi called it a bulls-eye pattern).  Even though it will make them a bit heavy bottomed, I really love the look of that foot.

I finished up the texturing of my first ammonite.  I also added a couple of lugs at the back for hanging it.  I think it could turn out quite well.  I'm actually quite excited about this one.  And I still have the big one to finish also.  I'm not so sure about that middle one, I may finish it or not, depending on what else I have going on.

Toward the end of the day, I decided to try to make some penguins, for the raku firing which will be end of February, so I should have some pieces ready for it soon.  Since the photo, I flattened out the neck of that penguin on the left, so it doesn't balloon out anymore.  They could end up okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment