Monday, November 6, 2017

November Raku Session

I had all my pieces ready for the October raku session, but since there were not enough others who were ready, it was cancelled, and I had to wait a long month for the raku firing yesterday.  Surprisingly, the weather was really decent.  Cold, very cold, but clear and sunny.

I was pleased with how my pieces turned out.  Here are a few photos from yesterday's firing.

Here's a whole table of our treasures, from the 7 or 8 of us in the class.  Even though we had "Caution. Do Not Enter" tape blocking off the area, some people managed to slip in, to look at them.  One couple was pointing at my puzzle pots, and asking if they were for sale.  I answered "Not yet".

I made the shiny leaf decoration, the two big puzzle jars, 3 leaf pendants, one hosta leaf with ladybug, and 4 chess pieces.

Here's a look from the other side.  Nice colors on those puzzle vases, and beautiful shine on that leaf decoration.

The 4 chess pieces are a gift for my husband, who is a chess master.  I was toying with making an entire set, but decided to start with the 4 pieces, and see if he likes them.  (Even if he does, I'm not sure I want to invest the time required to make an entire set.)  It would have been so perfect if I could have fired them in October, as it was days before his birthday.  So now it will be a small Christmas present.  I think I'm okay, he never looks at my blog, and I'll wait until after Christmas to post them to Instagram.

I guess that's the best photos of my pieces so far.  I cleaned and waxed them tonight, but need to wait for some natural light to get some good photos.  Here is a photo of a nice one made by my friend Roma.  It is Clear crackle glaze over white clay (probably WSO) and turquoise slip.  Sweet.

I also brought home some new pieces from the Cone 10 gas firing, but need to find time and good lighting to take some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment