Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Styrofoam Hump Moulds, More Plates, Some Glazing

Today was a productive day.  We had class #1 of our 2-class Styrofoam Hump & Slump Moulds course.  I didn't see the advantage of making the slump moulds at this point, so I made only more hump moulds (as I have 4 wonderful hump moulds from the course I took previously).

Linda suggested we try for 1 or 2, but I ended up making 3 hump moulds.  Two are a 2" deep oval, such as the one Linda used to make this deep casserole dish (with the beautiful glaze combination of Copper Red over Tenmoku):

The two ovals are sized so that the casserole dishes should easily stack together.  I didn't remember to take a photo.

The other one is a 1.5" deep soft round rectangle, which will make a wonderful sort of serving tray / platter.  I am pretty happy with this one, too.  Again, I didn't remember to take a photo.

That was my first 3 hours.  The next 4 hours or so, I did some trimming and glazing.  I am super happy with how these trimmed plates turned out :
Beautiful carved and stamped ceramic plates - WIP by Lily L.
The top one, I had stamped the rim on Sunday, but when I trimmed it, I also trimmed a spiral into the center.  I like how that looks.  I hope I can find a glaze which will do it justice.

The bottom one, I had made it Sunday with the spiral inside, and was planning to stamp the rim also, but I let it dry a bit too much, so instead, I used my trimming tool to carve the rim.  I really like how it turned out.  So much movement in the piece.  Again, I hope the glazes will do it justice.

I intentionally glazed one of my dark brown clay pieces, and hopefully it will be fired soon, so I will see it before I need to decide on these plates.  If the results are not spectacular, I should really do some test tiles, or create a piece which I can sacrifice to a number of glaze experiments.  Here is the brown vase, with a bit of black stain in the stamped pattern.  I want to see if it will show through my selected glaze.

I then glazed a few of my stamped mugs, which have been waiting patiently for me since I finished them in July!  I look forward to having a few finished ones for Hemlock Coffee Co.  (Hmmm, I thought I posted about them previously, but anyhow, they have some of my pieces for sale, and I have a feeling the mugs will be something their customers may enjoy).

Here are a few of the mugs, glazed, and awaiting firing :

The weather was really dismal today, raining heavily, so it was really good to be in the studio with good people and busy with so many items.  I can't imagine a better way to spend a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment