Saturday, October 7, 2017

Finishing Up those Lids and Plates

I am really pleased with what I've been learning in my Lids class.  This Wednesday, I finished off the pieces I started on the weekend.  Due to Thanksgiving holiday and plans to be away, it would otherwise have been 2 weeks before I get to the pieces, and they may have been too dry. 

The new lid method I learned was a success, and I was able to cut and coax those pieces together, and then trim them so they fit seamlessly.  It was my friend Roma's idea to add a small stamp, which also helps in case there is a position of the lid which fits best (which seemed to be the case).
I'm really excited about this method, and can't wait to make some more closed forms to try it out again.

I trimmed the marbled vase.  I like how the cross comes through clearly on the bottom :

For the plates I threw, I stamped the third one :
I finished all three plates with a simple foot.  Although I hope to throw some more which I will finish with a pedestal foot.

This little pot, I threw from the clay which I was using as a chuck for trimming my brown plates :

And this pot was too plain, so I flattened out the front surface, and Roma lent me one of her stencils, which worked out perfectly, I think :
I think that's about it.  When I get back to the studio, I will be throwing more but also hoping glazing a few pieces, so I will have a few finished items to look forward to soon.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment