I had a very nasty stomach flu over the weekend, so missed pottery class on Sunday, in which the class was spraying flashing slips on their pieces, prior to the bisque firing. So I started the class today under a bit of pressure to catch up on Sunday's class, and also I finally got my bag of clay designed for the soda class, and I had not had a chance to throw anything with it. Not to mention, I needed to run away for almost an hour for an appointment in the morning.
But first things first. I went to visit my dragon vase. It was looking very good.
Then I needed to catch up by spraying the flashing slips on my soda pieces. I am confident I have enough for the 2 cubic foot allotment, with perhaps some pieces to spare, so I that is good.
I trimmed and cleaned up the bowl which I had thrown originally to be a base for the monster vase, but I like the trimming and carving I ended up doing on it:
Then I finally opened that bag of soda clay, and surprised myself by throwing 6 pieces in the remaining time :
Since they all need to be trimmed, I don't believe there is chance of trimming them, and getting them turned around from the bisque firing soon enough for the soda firing. However, I could always save them for a future soda firing, or just fire then in the cone 10 gas firing. Amber Celadon would make a great glaze choice for those deep textures.
One piece, though, particularly pleased me, and had a bit too thin of a bottom, so I decided to force dry the rim and upper part with a hair dryer, so I could add a bit of clay to the bottom and trim / throw a foot. Which is what I did, and I am very pleased by the result :