Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Another Look at the Platters

I will be away for the next couple of weeks, so dropped by the studio today just to move the 4 platters into the kiln shed to get bisque fired.  They look and feel awesome, even if I have to say so myself.  I tried to take photos in the natural light, to see the texture.  Ignore the mouldy spots and the white corn starch.
I'm really happy with how this one turned out, with the oakleaf hydrangea leaf imprints.  I think the texture around them makes the leaves stand out nicely.  I can't wait to see this one finished.  With the right glazing and/or staining, it could be pretty spectacular.

I love this octagonal shape.  At 2" deep, it should make a very nice platter for serving some sort of food.  Or could hold water and float flowers.  Again, with the right staining/glazing, the pattern could look pretty cool.

This deeper 3" hexagonal shape feels really great to hold.  I can't wait until this one is finished.

I'm also pleased with this shape, and even glad I didn't try to mess around with the sharp corners.  I can see how this one turns out, and try something different on the next one.  That's the cool thing about the styrofoam moulds, they were a lot of work to make, but now they can be used many times.  And based on the results so far, I think I have more experimenting to do, with different textures, rimmed or unrimmed, and maybe some decorative elements, and staining / glazing combinations.

When I return from my trip, I will have 3 weeks in November to finish up all my pieces, stain / glaze them, and work on anything else I can fit in (or not).  Then it will be Christmas break already.  This pottery season seems to have flown by too quickly.  But I have some sizeable pieces to show for it.  Not to mention a few hatching dragons.  I went to visit those today.  Here they are on the shelf, with my two African men looking like they are having a conversation in the background :
The process of creating is so satisfying.  I look forward to one day when I can devote more than one day per week to pottery.  Two days would be even more perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment