Saturday, July 30, 2016

Hatching Dragon

In the recent soda firing, Sharon Reay had two dragons hatching from their eggs.  I realized that a hatching dragon would be a perfect addition to my dragon collection, so I asked if she would be willing to sell one to me.  She wasn't ready yet.  I don't blame her.  I'd want to enjoy them a bit longer, take photos, etc.  But since then, I've had hatching dragons on my mind, so tonight I decided to try my hand at it, and this is the result.  I was able to create most of it while waiting for a banana / blueberry loaf in the oven (which took over an hour to bake) :
Dragon hatching from egg, pottery/ceramic, in progress, by Lily L.
I'm pretty happy with the result.  The dragon was created from Little John clay, and I had planned to switch over to a white clay for the egg, since I want a pretty white glaze (Sharon had used the Cobra glaze which provides a beautiful crackle effect).  But I'll figure something out, even if it's using a fairly heavy coat of white glaze.  Doesn't matter anyhow, since I have a feeling this may not be the last hatching dragon I will be making.  Here are a few more angles :
Hatching ceramic dragon, in progress, by Lily L.
Hatching ceramic dragon, in progress, by Lily L.
Hatching ceramic dragon, in progress, by Lily L.
I'm pretty happy with this first attempt.  I learned lots, and I'm sure the next one will be even better.  In the meantime, it looks like my kitchen counter (good thing we have a very large island) will not be cleared off for some while.  I guess that may be the new state of being until the studio opens again in late September.

No comments:

Post a Comment