Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Naked Raku Pot - Rewaxed

When I waxed it the first time, I realized there were spots which didn't polish up, and looked dirty.  So I took a metal scrubby and dish soap, and scrubbed these areas.  I found that some of them needed to be scraped.  I used my thumbnail until I wore my thumbnail down, and then I switched to a knife blade, to scrape these rough bits off.  Then I dried the piece and rewaxed it.  Now it is quite uniformly shiny and smooth, and the colors show through beautifully :
Beautiful striped naked raku pottery vessel / vase / ceramic pot.
There's something about this piece, which has strong colors and shine, but is not glazed, which is really appealing.  It has an earthy, natural feel to it.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the look of results. Google brought me here to ask my question(s). I am about to start my Naked Raku journey after watching many videos on the subject. They all focus on the wonders of appearance. That said the " feel " of rough fired clay concerns me. I am one of those unfortunate potters that can't stand the dry, rough fired clay. I see you accomplished a beautiful shiny and smooth finish for your naked raku pot. The question is: " if it feels at all like dry rough fired clay after the rewaxed application? "

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it again. I just noticed this posting was done aeons ago. Oh Well, I tried. Thanks Google

    ReplyDelete