Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Double-Walled Vase Carving

The original plan with the double-walled vases was to carve out holes in the outer wall.  So I decided to try it, with the first one I threw.  But it turns out the wall was a bit thicker than I had expected, and the vase was much drier that it should be, so I decided instead to just carve shapes into the vase, but not all the way through to make holes.  I spent waaay too much time working on this tonight, using primarily dental tools:
Carved double-walled ceramic vase, in progress.
What do you think?  I think they look almost like inlaid jewels.  If only I could glaze them to get that effect....  So far my glazing has not achieved anything like that, and I haven't even ordered the bright colored underglazes that I am hoping to buy eventually...  We'll see.  There is still time to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment