Saturday, April 5, 2014

More Finished Ceramics from Pots That Pour Class

Continuing with the finished items I recently picked up...

#13 - This teapot is from my "Floral" set, where I explored using closed forms, and cutting the lid out, this one from 1300g white clay.  This one turned out brilliantly, except the red underglaze has stuck the lid to the pot.  So I am still working on prying it free.  I think I'll get there eventually, hopefully without damaging the lid in the process.  The Red for the flower and Leaf Green for the stems was created with underglaze, brushed on (multiple layers for full opacity).  Then I sprayed the whole piece with Clear glaze, and it was fired at Cone 10.  There is a small vent hole in the lid.  I can't remember, but I believe the spout has a built in filter for tea leaves.

#14 - This one was the first in my "Floral" set, starting as a 1400 closed vessel, and then the lid was cut out, and the 3 petals built up on top of the lid.  Unfortunately, I had dropped the lid off this one after completely finishing it, and had to squish it back into place, so it never sealed 100%, but that has provided an advantage when prying the lid back off since the glaze firing.  Again, I used Red and Leaf Green underglaze, and then sprayed the whole piece Clear inside and out.

#15 - This was the biggest closed form in my "Floral" series, starting at probably 1600g of raw clay.  It ended up being a bit heavy for a tea pot, but I love the look.  The lid is cut out, then the 6 petals layered on top of the lid, and finished in Red and Leaf Green underglaze.  Unfortunately, the lid of this one is also stuck, but hope to be able to free it.  The pot was dipped in Matt Green glaze.  It has a vent hole at the back of the pot since I didn't want to damage the lid (and because it is fairly thick), and it bears my stamp at the base of the pot rather than underneath.

#16 - I think this teapot turned out quite well.  It was based on 1200g of white clay.  I added some profile lines on the side and base, which give it a nice texture, and some matching profile lines on the lid.  The lid has a little jib to reduce the chances of falling out, and sits quite well, although not tightly, on the pot.  I didn't want to poke through the lid, so added a small vent behind the lid (above the handle), which unfortunately filled in with glaze during the firing, since I made sure it was clear after dipping in Tenmoku and then Clear glaze.  I wasn't expecting the spotting, but it is an interesting effect.  My stamp at the bottom picked up the glaze nicely, so shows very prominently.

#17 - Another "Floral" item, starting from 1000g white clay in a closed shape.  This time I only carved in the edges of the 5 petals after cutting out the lid.  Again, finished in Red and Leaf Green underglaze, and sprayed Clear.  The lid gave a little fight, but I was able to pop it free, so the piece is functional as a container.

#18 - This nice little jug was formed from 900g clay, and was a pleasing shape but somehow lacking.  Thanks to my classmate Roma who suggested a gecko / lizard for it, which I was happy to try.  As always, I would love to get more texture to the lizard than the glazes provide, but the colours at least worked well.  I glazed the lizard in Khaki by brush, then added Blue overglaze down his spine, and sealed him in wax.  Then dipped the whole piece in Oatmeal.  I think the colours work quite well.  What do you think?

#19 - This is a fairly sizable jug, formed from 1800g white clay.  I discovered the rim broken after the bisque firing, and decided to go ahead to glaze it anyhow.  If nothing else, I thought I could use it in the garden somewhere.  It is glazed with Khaki inside and out, and then I sponged on Copper Red.  I don't know that I love the result, but it ended up pretty interesting, looking almost like polished stone, with a heavy deposit of metallic-looking iron in it.  I will probably experiment with the sponging technique again, it seems to have good potential.

#20 - I agonized for some while about how to glaze this 2000g pot.  I would have liked the stamped snowflakes white, and the dark blue in the surrounding "sky".  But there was no reasonable way to achieve that.  So I ended up brushing Deep Blue into the stamped areas, and cleaning them up with a wet sponge.  Then I filled the inside with Deep Blue, and dipped the outside into Clear.  It is pretty nice, but reminds me too much of some pajamas I had some while ago, which had a similar pattern.  So if anyone likes this one, it is up for adoption.  :-)  It is stamped clearly on the bottom.

#21 - This little bowl which started as 1400g, has visible throwing lines inside and out which I added with a metal rib, and hollow rim.  The bottom was cut with textured wire, and then trimmed and stamped (lightly), so the base has a nice finished look.  I played with Turquoise and Black slip inside, and Black slip on the rim.  The inside and rim was then sprayed with Clear glaze, and I dipped it in Old Celadon, not quite to the rim.  It is fascinating how a metallic colour and shine appeared on the rim and inside bottom.   That was a pleasant surprise.  This one is definitely one of my favourites, and my 15-year-old's top pick from this set also.

#22 - This one IS my favourite from this set.  I hope to make more similar, one day.  I has a bit of time left in our last throwing class, so I set out to make a wide bowl and decorate it with slip.  I was pleased that I was able to throw this shape, which was not easy for me.   I let it dry a bit before adding the slip, although I was told that I was lucky it didn't flop, and did quite a bit of drying with a blow dryer to increase my luck.  I added first a ring of Black, then dots of Turquoise to force it to run down, and then a bit more Black and Turquoise to get the effect I liked.  I love the little dots of Black in the center, which complete the floral design.  I rimmed in Black using my fingertips.  The inside is sprayed with Clear, and the outside dipped in Matt Green.  My instructors would be proud of me that I left the finger marks (see photo in bottom right) from dipping in the glaze.  My instinct is to "fuss" with it, and hide such imperfections, but I am trying to let go and embrace these as signs that the piece was truly and lovingly made by hand.

Stay tuned for 6 (or 7) more pieces, which I will post when I have another chance.  As always, please leave me comments, suggestions, criticisms, or hints if you would like any of these ceramic pieces in your own home collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment